DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY AW5500
The AW series outdoor speaker provides clear, high-definition sound by pressure-coupling a BDSS technology driver to a racetrack-shaped mid/bass radiator cleverly placed on the opposite side of the enclosure. This technique offers a total bass radiating area greater than an 8-inch woofer to belt out powerful bass that fills outdoor areas.
- Fully sealed design provides indoor speaker sound for the great outdoors
- Active driver pressure-coupled to racetrack Planar Low Bass Radiator for rich low end
- Rugged PolyStone enclosures ensure a great performance even in the elements
- Galvanized steel mounting brackets give 360-degree placement flexibility
- Pressure Coupled Radiator Design
Definitive Technology’s Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver offers a wide-bandwidth accurate frequency response, broad dispersion, low distortion, and detail retrieval; so you hear more the music with greater accuracy and enjoyment
Polystone Non-Resonant All-Weather Enclosure
The Definitive Technology AW5500 features a fully sealed (air and water tight) design, aluminium grilles, and rugged PolyStone enclosure, which allow it to be fully exposed to the elements and still reliably deliver their indoor speaker sound quality for years of outdoor listening enjoyment.
Balanced Double Surrounds
The speaker’s balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance.
Mineral-Filled Polymer Cone
The speaker features a deeply drawn mineral-filled polymer cone engineered using sophisticated 3D modelling techniques for wide range performance.
The cones integrated waveguide smoothes off-axis response for broad, even dispersion and better imaging.
High Temperature Voice Coil
The driver’s high temperature, oversized, lightweight vented voice coil offers improved power handling and quick transient response. The voice coil is also lengthened to increase linearity and lower distortion.
The driver’s magnetic system is optimized by finite element analysis to maximize magnetic flux in the gap for high efficiency and linear excursion.
Die-Cast Alloy Basket
The die-cast alloy basket minimizes ringing and vibration while the open area minimizes back wave reflection.
- Galvanized Steel Wall Bracket with Thumb Screws
12.625″ (32.07 cm)
7.813″ (19.85 cm)
8.06″ (20.47 cm)
8.33 lbs (3.78 kg)
Driver Enclosure Type
(1) 1″ (2.54 cm) d (Round) Pure Aluminum Dome – Tweeter
(1) 5.25″ (13.34 cm) d (Round) BDSS Bass – Mid/Woofer
(1) 5″ (12.7 cm) h x 8″ (20.32 cm) w (Oval) Pressure Driven – Bass Radiator
Total Frequency Response
45 Hz → 30,000 Hz
(1 watt @ 1 meter) 91 dB
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting
Peak Power Handling
Power Handling (per channel)
10 watts → 175 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Settings
Large (40 Hz)
(1) Pair of 5 Way Binding Posts – Gold-Plated